Jalapeño Mac and Cheese
** This blog post is sponsored by Horizon**
This recipe was a little out of my wheelhouse simple because I try to cook pretty healthy here in the Sailor Bailey household. Matt isn’t a picky eater whatsoever and he typically enjoys most everything I put in front of him. One of his favorite things to eat when we go out to eat or when I am out of town is Mac & Cheese.
Matt is so picky about his Mac & Cheese so for him, it’s a treat when we end up at one of his favorite spots that happens to have what he likes. I decided I would treat him and challenge myself to creating a yummy homemade Mac & Cheese that was full of high quality dairy. I didn’t need to add overpriced rare cheeses to make it delicious, all I needed was organic Non GMO, heavy cream and some high quality organic cheddar cheese from Horizon® . I love to pick my Horizon products up at Sprouts grocery store, they carry the full line and it’s often times on sale.
This recipe has a little kick to it with the fresh cut jalapeños, if you don’t like heat, I would suggest opting out of them. Enjoy!
· 3 cups of Horizon Chedder Cheese
· ½ pound of elbow pasta
· 3 tbs butter
· 1 tsp paprika (I like to be heavy handed here)
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 3 tbs all purpose flour
· 2 cups of Horizon heavy cream
· dash of salt
· 2 tbs diced onion
· 1 chopped jalapeño
· Cook Elbow pasta according to package drain well
· In a large skillet or pan over medium to low heat melt butter add flour until it is slightly brown
· Slowly whisk in heavy cream and let it thicken for a few minutes
· Turn off heat and stir in all the cheese, once melted slowly add pasta onions and jalapeños
· Option to add in broccoli I used 1 ½ C of chopped broccoli florets.