Crockpot Sweet Potato Stew With Shredded Chicken (Can be made vegan too!)
I am highly addicted to sweet potatoes and I was looking for recipe inspiration online when I was growing tired with my go-to recipes. I stumbled across and Mexican stew and decided I was going to add different flavors and items to make something more pleasing to MY tastebuds. So behold - my favorite stew in the winter !
Cooking Time (4 hours on high or 6 on low in the crockpot + 15 to 20 min prep time) ** if you don't have a crockpot, use a very deep dish on the stove top and microwave your potatoes on the potato setting to soften them up and chop up chicken before adding to the pot. Simmer on low for 1 hour or until chicken is fullly cooked.
- 3 chopped peppers (I use green but any color pepper is fine! * green is usually cheapest)
- 2 cans of beans rinsed and liquid drained (I like pinto but any bean works!)
- 2 large skinned and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1.5 - 2 pounds or boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs if you like your meat dark!)
- 1 can of chicken broth + 1 refilled can of water
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped Jalapeno
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of chunky peanut butter ** this is what MAKES this dish** add this last !
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a 6 qt crockpot (chicken on the bottom!)
- Cook on high for 4 hrs or low for 6
- once everything is cooked, stir in peanut butter last (to avoid over cooking it) and enjoy!